Sunday, August 18, 2013

Not so spiritual

Seeing the other post of my classmates on the blog, I found some that questioned the traditions or rituals that a culture of a certain country or religion had. Because they think that these traditions were not respected the rights of people, and I remembered what I once read about the Hindu religion.

But before delving into my main topic, I wondered .... What is generally known about Hinduism? The most common answer is that it is a religion that is focuses on the development of the soul, which is extremely respectful of their environment and is nihilistic (pleasure-seeking). But few respond the true, or the else. Like everything this is a stereotype, Hinduism is generally associated with something spiritual and mystical, but that is not everything.

The Hinduism religion is the third largest in the world, has 330 million gods and various forms of practice.  But one aspect of this religion quite controversial is that the Hindus are part of castes and these are estates. The higher the priestly caste, followed by that of the rulers and soldiers, after traders and shopkeepers. The lower caste people sweep, wash clothes, fix shoes, and usually are the servants of the higher castes. The latter are called the "untouchables"



Untouchables are outcasts, and they can not do anything about it. Being a stratified caste, if your parents are "untouchable" so you'll be and that will never change.

And that's my big question or maybe my great disappointment, how a religion based on respect, can divide people by their socioeconomic status? ...... This is Hinduism we know, that is we want to know? ... I think it is much easier to keep the mystical religion, with its wonderful traditions and ancient rituals.

So this is a great example of stereotypes, one would never think that there is this controversial fact a religion. So as an advice, or maybe just opinion: not because it is something that has been practiced for years, or because it is something that characterizes to a religion (in this case or any other situation), that should still occur. 

                        This has to stop!!

1 comment:

  1. Discrimination within the religion the worst thing!
    I like your post and I realized that's one of the reasons why I don't believe in religion, each one of which I know say one thing and practice another as in this case completely opposite.

    ReplyDelete